Friday, April 2, 2010

Hans Strikes Kumon Gold


If you are a Mathematically-challenged person all your life. Chances are, when you have little kids of your own, you will do everything that you can to prevent them from developing the same handicap. It’s a personal wisdom gained from my own experience.

I vowed that no kids of my own will ever fear Math nor even have the slightest inferiority towards numbers. That is why, even before hans had weaned from his bottle, he’s already enrolled in Kumon Math – trekking 3x weekly to their kapasigan branch.

Kumon is a Japanese style of learning math, developed by an old Japanese guru for this son, who has difficulty in Math. The concept is doing math equations every day, in such a way, that the child masters Mathematical disciplines, whether due to constant memorization, exposure and persistence until he understands --- all under time pressure.

Sounds punishing? Not really. Afterall, he’s done 3 years of crunching his numbers and hasn’t committed Harakiri yet. As a matter of fact, on his 2nd year, I blogged that he was awarded Bronze level.

Just recently, when we moved residences, he also moved to a new kumon school, near our new home. He recently got the Gold medal, and it also states that he’s 137 of o total of 1,917 students doing Kumon, the same level as he is. Ted says, it's pretty impressive, since it's about the 10th percentile ranking.

I don't know about ranking stuff. All i know is, the boy can add, subtract, multiply and divide even before he's in Grade one. Whereas, I learned multiplication table when I was grade 4 already. So, that, in itlsef, is already a personal fulfillment for me.

:)

3 comments:

butterfly said...

bravo hans! i also fear math subjects. my dad's the math genius in the family. i guess my youngest brother got that talent. he's the only engineer among the five of us. i'm more into literature and science.

it's good to know that hans is doing great. his dad's a genius in numbers. so i think he got the genes. my son's heaving some difficulty in division. he's 7 and already in grade 3. they have advanced subjects here unlike in the philippines. they got geometry and geography. i studied that in high school. whew! for sure our kids are smarter than us...=)

butterfly said...

this blog page needs updates super mom!

Anonymous said...

I was more than happy to discover this site.

I need to to thank you for ones time for this particularly
fantastic read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it and I have you saved to fav to look at new stuff
on your site. I wanted to tell you, I bookmarked Blogger:
Family Frolics at Reddit so my family will learn from
it also. If you don't mind I would also share a word of advice. Getting superb video marketing can be incredibly difficult. I find it most helpful to talk to a a San Diego Estate Planning Attorney. Our staff of Amazing Estate Planning Lawyer San Diego are right here to help with all your legal necessities.

Feel free to visit my website - bankruptcy lawyer San Diego